Teriyaki is a side dish that has long been popular among Japanese because chicken is cheaply available in Japan, easy to cook, and goes well with rice. Chicken with crisp skin is especially popular. It’s delicious not as a main dish, but as a salad with teriyaki and a ‘teriyaki donburi’ topped it on rice with sweet and spicy sauce, or teriyaki chicken sandwiches.
Just as sushi and tempura are popular all over the world, teriyaki chicken is also popular now. There are restaurants and cafes where you can take out teriyaki chicken, and you can get soy sauce, Japan’s proud seasoning, at a local supermarket. As long as you get the knack of grilling crisply, you can also eat delicious teriyaki chicken at home.
Chicken thighs are perfect for teriyaki. Thighs are good for crispy and plump texture. The recipe below explains how to prepare skinned boneless chicken thighs.
Soy sauce is indispensable for teriyaki chicken. Japanese soy sauce is now available at local supermarkets and wholesale stores overseas. Kikkoman soy sauce is famous. It would be nice if there was mirin, but sake would be enough. This recipe uses sake, you may substitute dry white wine for sake. Other than that, sugar. You can’t take it off.
Below is how to make chicken teriyaki with crispy skin and plump and juicy chicken teriyaki.
If you just follow the simple steps, you won’t fail.
- 4-6 Chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp Sake (Dry white wine)
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Sake (Dry white wine)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Olive oil
How to prepare chicken
- Cut along the bones and separate it from the meat and remove cartilage.
- Cut the meat so it is evenly thick and cut out the excess skin.
- Pour sake (Dry white wine)
How to make sauce
- Mix soy sauce, sake and sugar.
How to make teriyaki
- Heat the pan over a medium-heat and add oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down in the frying pan.
- Wipe off any excess fat from the chicken.
- Check the Baked Color 5-6 minutes later.
- After 8 minutes, Flip it over.
- Saute the back for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and turn off the heat.
- Wipe off the oil
- Put the sauce in the frying pan and heat it up.
- Simmer until the sauce is halved
- Drizzle some sauce on it