Mini Kimbap / Baby Kimbap
Baby Kimbap is a seaweed roll with Korean Pickled Radish (Danmooji), also suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. Depending on the preference of the child, it can be sometimes enjoyed with some topping of eggs and meat to make it more child-friendly.
This recipe is a classic yet authentic style that is eaten by many Koreans and can be made with all kinds of sauce, such as with a dip of mustard. It is even called “drug kimbap” for the addicting eating habits most Koreans have with this dish. This dish brings you the benefit of it being a healthy recipe with vegetables and gives you the pleasure to enjoy some staggering kimbap which are suitable in size. Allows you to feel the satisfaction of eating a small amount and yet still being very full.
You can also pre prepare it beforehand if in a rush to make it on that day and enjoy some delicious kimbap with your friends and family even for a mini Korean themed picnic!
Even with a minimal/limited amount of ingredients in your home, you can still enjoy some baby kimbap even as a snack.
- 300 g Rice
- 400 cc Water
- 1&1/2 tbp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 5 sheets Dried Seaweed
- 50 g Korean pickled radish (Danmooji)
- 10 cm English Cucumber
- 1 Carrot (medium size)
- 1 Egg
- 100 g Beef mince
- 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 pinches Salt
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Mustard
- Cook the rice like usual https://kitchen-j.com/2020/08/01/japanese-steamed-rice-without-rice-cooker/
- Cut the cucumber as slim as possible.
- Julienne the carrots.
- Cut the pickled radish crosswise. Then cut the radish into 10cm length.
- Heat a lightly sesame oiled pan over medium high heat. Stir fry the carrots until slightly softened. Lightly season with two pinches of salt.
- Beat the eggs and cook both sides well over medium heat. Place the egg omelette on a cutting board and cut it into long strips.
- Heat a lightly sesame oiled pan over medium high heat. Stir fry the thin sliced beef (or beef mince). After the beef mince becomes brown, add 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoon sugar and stir fry well.
- When all the ingredients are ready, prepare the rice. While the rice still is hot, add the sesame oil and salt. Mix well lightly folding with a rice paddle or spoon until evenly seasoned.
- Cut 4 sheets of seaweed into quarters.
- Place a quarter sheet of seaweed, shiny side down and shorter side toward you (one of the sides will be slightly shorter even if it looks like a square!). Spread 1 tablespoon to 11/2 tablespoons of rice evenly over the seaweed, leaving a little bit of space on the side away from you. Lay the prepared ingredients (about 3 different ingredients) on the middle of the rice.
- Lift the entire bottom edge with both hands and roll over the filling away from you, tucking in the filling with your fingers.
- Mix sauce ingredients.
- Enjoy baby kimbap with dipping sauce !