Kimchi is a typical Korean food made from Chinese cabbage, chili peppers, and garlic. Kimchi often refers to Chinese leaf kimchi / Chinese cabbage kimchi with strips of radish and green onion mixed with chilli peppers and garlic. it is a preserved food prepared for severe cold weather. It is generally eaten as a side dish of rice.
Besides Chinese cabbage, cubed radish kimchi called kakuteki and cucumber kimchi called oi kimchi. Chinese cabbage kimchi is eaten after it is aged, but oikimchi and kakuteki are side dishes like salads that are eaten immediately after being made. There are kinds of cucumber kimchi, and there is only oi-sobagi with yangnyeom sandwiched between cucumbers, oi-kimchi mixed chili peppers, and garlic.
As time goes by, kimchi gets sour. when you stir-fry kimchi with pork or put it in soup, sourness gives a richness to the food. Fresh kimchi tastes good when eaten with rice, but sour kimchi tastes great when used as a cooking ingredient
- 2 kg Chinese leaf (Napa cabbage)
- 6 tbsp Salt
Kimchi paste (Yangnyeom)
- 3 tbsp Glutinous rice flour
- 300 ml Soup stock (300ml water+7g dried anchovy+3g kelp)
- 60 g Korean chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Salted shrimp
- 4 tbsp Anchovy sauce (2.5 tbsp Fish sauce/Nampler)
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Grated garlic
- 2 tsp Grated ginger
- 60 g Onion
- 1/2 Apple
- 200 g Mooli (Raddish)
- 25 g Chive
- 3 Spring onion
- Make small cut in the core of the chinese leaf with a knife and cut it by hand. Cut the chinese leaf into 1/4.
- Wash the leaves one by one with water.
- Keep the cut end up and sprinkle salt between the leaves. After sprinkling salt, hold the chinese leaf tightly and let it blend in.
- Place the core of the cabbage in the bag alternately so that the leaves do not overlap.
- Push it about 20 times to let air out. It makes salt easy to mix with the chinese leaf.
- Keep salted Chinese leaf overnight in cool place. There's a lot of water coming out, so put it in a bowl.
Kimchi paste (yangneom) Instructions
- Make soup stock. Put dried fish and kelp in hot water and let them cool down.
- Put glutinous rice flour and soup stock and mix well.
- Heat it up.
- Turn off the heat when it thickens.
- Slice the spring onion thinly and diagonally. Cut the chives into 2cm lengths.
- Shred the mooli (radish)
- Cut onions, apples, and ginger into chunks, put them and puree with a mixer.
- Mix mooli (radish), spring onion, chive, glutinous rice flour paste and puree.
- Mix salted shrimp, anchovy sauce (fish sauce/ nampler), honey and korean chilli powder.
How to finish kimchi
- Change the water twice and wash the chinese leaf. Please wash the leaves well as it's very salty. ** Point : Remove the salt until you feel the salt is light **
- Check the salt level. Try the leaves and the core together.
- Squeeze the chinese leaves tightly and place the cabbage side up.
- Spread each leaf with yangnyeom (kimchi paste) and roll it tightly from the core.
- Add the leftover leaves to the remaining kimchi.
- Keep in a food container after wrap it in wrap so it doesn't touch the air as much as possible.
- Leave at room temperature for 2-3 hours and then keep in the refrigerator.
- Cut it into bite-size pieces and serve it.